Thursday, October 25, 2007

What's for Dinner?

An excellent article in this week’s Isthmus discusses the concept of sustainable food production and consumption from a pragmatic perspective. I have become entranced by this issue since moving to Madison and its wonderful Capitol Square Farmer’s Market with a bounty of locally grown produce, meat, and cheese. I used to be a bit on the skeptical side with anything “organic” or “sustainable,” but I have realized that I had let the hard liners spoil the underlying value of the concept.

The idea that I can purchase my produce directly from the person responsible for growing it is a good thing for a number of reasons. Increased consumer confidence, lowered usage of fossil fuels for shipping, fresher is often healthier, and supporting the local economy are some of the keys to the concept. Of course, being the food snob I am, the key to my conversion lies in the quality of the product. The San Marzano tomatoes I get from a local organic vendor in July are absolutely incredible.

If you are at all interested in this topic, I would recommend a quick read of the article. I am interested in a method of measuring local consumption... by weight, meal, cost, mile... so many variables, I would have to love it.

Also, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle may be worth the time as well.

No comments: