Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Misspoken, misremembered... or Busted BS?

I am the first to admit that a little lie/embellishment is to be expected from any politician (or human), but the latest HRC bullshit seems to have legs. CNN has a brief synopsis of the issue, which pretty much fits the standard Clinton lie model.
Step 1 - Make a significant embellishment for a nominal political gain,
Step 2 - Get busted when someone calls bullshit,
Step 3 - Spin the embellishment as either:
__________________a. I misspoke
__________________b. I misremembered
__________________c. I'm the victim

So, Step 1:
She said when she arrived in Bosnia on March 25, 1996, "I remember landing under sniper fire. There was supposed to be some kind of a greeting ceremony at the airport, but instead we just ran with our heads down to get into the vehicles to get to our base."

Step 2 was completed by the Phily Daily News, and

Step 3 is a combo of defense a, b, and c. (with a nice exaggeration thrown in for good measure),
"I say a lot of things -- millions of words a day -- so if I misspoke, that was just a misstatement," she said.

I really think it is the combo of predictability and brazenness that gets me on these things. Is Hitchens correct, do they have no one left to lie to?

No comments: