Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sweet Sixteen

Since I failed to post the first two rounds of my bracket (which saves some face given my 9 sweet sixteeners), I thought I would play out the final four rounds to see how I fair...

In the East ---
UNC over WSU
LOU over TEN*
UNC over LOU

UNC-WSU plays well for WSU if they can keep it in the 50-low 60's. Louisville-Tennessee could be the most exciting game of the Sweet Sixteen, given both coaches desire to push the tempo -- we may see fifty turnovers and fifty three point attempts...

In the South ---
MSU over Memphis*
Texas over Stanford*
Texas over MSU

I can't tolerate bad free throw shooting, and Memphis is really BAD. I think Izzo will get some big time performances and nearly pull through to the Final Four. Texas-Stanford is a tough call, but I'll go with Texas with Augustine.

In the West ---
UCLA over WKU
Xavier over WVU
UCLA over Xavier*

WKU -- good run, now it's over. I would love to watch them pull a stunner, but don't think it's likely with a team like UCLA who plays tough enough D to stay close even during an opponent's run. Speaking of run, how long is it till Huggins gets run out of college basketball altogether and can go sit with Bobby and discuss who is a badder-ass coach. I don't think there is another NCAA coach that I find more ridiculous.

In the Midwest ---
Kansas over VIL
WISC over Davidson*
Wisc over Kansas

Wisconsin vs. Davidson should be fun to watch. Davidson is solid, but I really think that Davidson's win over Georgetown was equal parts of Curry playing huge and G-Town beating themselves. Flowers should be able to contain (notice not stop) Curry and with the rest of the team defense of the Badgers I think a victory is in line. KU will easily take down Nova, but their poor shot selection when faced with gritty man to man will come back to haunt them in the elite eight. Of course, this is a hopeful Madisonian's perspective, but the Badgers really should be able to keep this one interesting.

Final Four
UNC over WISC*
UCLA over Texas
UNC over UCLA*

The UNC-WISC game should be intriguing in another example of contrasting styles similar to the WSU-UNC matchup. Unfortunately for Bucky, UNC will have just seen the Cougars attempts at slowing it down and even with the great overall team defense, I'm not sure who will stop Hansbrough. UNC-UCLA could be interesting and fun to watch, given the potential for a Love-Hansbrough matchup --- or it could turn into a bore if UCLA gets down early.

* Must watch basketball, not that most of these games aren't.

1 comment:

AM Donkey said...

Uhh... the Badgers sucked, as did the Spartans --- shows what I get for loving on the Big Ten. Go Heels!