Friday, June 27, 2008

Mugabe wins election!!!

Or at least that is assuredly what the reports will be after the "voting" is completed today in Zimbabwe. Mugabe is, not suprisingly, defending is grip on power by using the proverbial "other leaders" who have done "worse things than me" line of argument.
“Some African countries have done worse things,” he said, adding that when he goes to the African Union summit, he will dare other heads of state to deny this fact.

“I would like some African leaders who are making these statements to point at me and we would see if those fingers would be cleaner than mine.”
I'll tell you Robbie, I wouldn't have too much trouble finding less corrupt and oppressive dictators. The New York Times also has an article discussing Mugabe's formal reception at New York City Hall in 2002. This reception was led by Councilman Charles Barron, who when asked about whether or not he has second thoughts about the visit, responded, "absolutely not."
“Does he do things that I disagree with? Yes,” Mr. Barron said. But he clearly still regards Mr. Mugabe as a liberator more than an oppressor. “You didn’t care about black Africans when whites were killing them in Rhodesia,” he said. As he sees it, the real reason that Mr. Mugabe has come under strong attack from the West is the confiscation of white-owned farms.

Echoing Mr. Mugabe’s party line, he suggested that Mr. Tsvangirai is a tool of “British imperialism and the United States as well.” As for political violence, “I don’t think we can deny people are dying,” Mr. Barron said. “Who’s responsible and how many — we need to really get reports other than from the opposition.”
I know I shouldn't be, but this sentiment really astounds me. Is there a more disgusting political act than carrying water for an oppressive dictator, who's actions are killing his own people?

No comments: