Wednesday, December 5, 2007

localvore, locatarian, or locavore...

The Oxford American dictionary has announced it's 2007 word of the year is locavore. This is one, and the preferred iteration by me, of the numerous terms used to describe the movement towards local sustainable and organic food stuffs. The movement is comprised of a variety of groups such as, environmentalists, hippies, gastronomes, yuppies and me [I may fit into none, some or all of these categories].

This is one of those issues that I feel the need to shamelessly plug from time to time. I hope this publicity will bring some more people into a state of awareness of what wonderful food is being grown and provided for right in your region. There are numerous depressing facts and rationales for partaking in local foodstuffs whenever possible, but to me it started with the quality/taste of the food. If the movement focuses on this and works on spreading the environmental message as a bonus point - it just might work out. The economics argument is also becoming more of an argument as gas prices remain high.

I honestly believe, that with a slight alteration of expectation - as in recognizing that most products are seasonal in nature - and a slight increase in time spent handling and cooking food the concept of being a locavore may be able to actually put a dent in the farming-industrial complex created by our federal government's policies. Of course, I do fear the self righteous amongst us will invariably become frustrated by the folks like me who want to make this a legitimate option for all and not merely an elitist "I feel better" activity. More info available here, from a group that doesn't seem to be too militant.

-- Though I am intimately involved in this local food lifestyle, my choice for word/phrase of the year would have been: "An aura of invincibility" - Definition: The term invented by the Clinton campaign/media/Karl Rove to describe the hope/dream that nobody can possibly contest Hillary for the Democratic nomination.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes exactly, in some moments I can phrase that I jibe consent to with you, but you may be making allowance for other options.
to the article there is stationary a suspect as you did in the decrease publication of this request www.google.com/ie?as_q=simtec httpwatch professional 5.1.23 ?
I noticed the utter you suffer with not used. Or you use the pitch-dark methods of helping of the resource. I suffer with a week and do necheg