Friday, December 14, 2007

A powerful "O"...

In the previous post, I mentioned how the mainstream media is discounting Oprah's influence... now they are reporting that she has angered and alienated her fans. Somehow I doubt that most of these comments left on her site were from many of her true fans. It also bothers me that those who rely on the free market idea are often the first to jump all over a celebrity for a political endorsement. It is my belief that the basic civic duty of political participation isn't checked at the door when you become a celebrity. If one just throws endorsements around and angers their audience too much... the market will let that person know.

My personal favorite comment on the CNN site:
Obama will loose to the Republican's if he is elected. The only person capable of beating the right-wing machine is Hillary Clinton. You may not like everything about her but we can't afford the Republican party keeping control of this country for another 4-8 years. Come on DEMS!! Don't shoot your own feet off by nominating Obama. He will be eaten alive!!!!!!

Posted By john, Euless, TX : December 13, 2007 7:50 pm

Damn straight john from Euless (or is it Hillary from Chicago via New England via Arkansas via DC via New York???) -- he will surely loose if elected... Wait if he is elected, wouldn't that mean.... Oh well, I'm confused.

The following comment may offer more insight, but definitely less entertainment (and isn't that what CNN is all about anyway?).
Reading too much into things. I really don't think a few comments on Oprah's website is indicative of any type of "backlash". As for her comments, it's obvious a few people are overreacting and seeing a racialized message I seriously doubt is there. I've never cared much for Oprah but I don't think she should be forced to live in a race and politically free bubble just because her fans expect her to. I haven't seen any other celebrities coming under fire for supporting the politicians of their choice. Personally I think this ticker is CNN trying to give attention to an "issue" that isn't an "issue" to begin with.

Posted By Edwin, Chicago IL : December 13, 2007 8:27 pm

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that other celebs don't take heat as well for their political stands (think Dixie Chicks), but overall some valuable points. I definitely agree with the point on CNN trying to create a story because of some comments on Oprah's website. If this is "news," maybe I could start a group of Internet muckrakers who don't report the news... but make it.

No comments: