Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Feeling Blue in Indiana....

To harken back to day's gone by over at Donkey Behind the Times, I'm offering up this fine piece of Op-ed journalism from the NYT. Penned by Porter Shreve, it hits on a couple of soft spots for this ex-pat Hoosier...

On the stretch of I-65 between here and Chicago, a billboard proclaims “Jesus is real” on one side and, on the other, “Hell is real.” I moved here from North Carolina, so I’m used to roadside proselytizing. But since January of last year the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles has been issuing red, white and blue “In God We Trust” license plates and by now, it seems, they’re on every third car.
The real big issue for me with this isn't just that it is a blatant extension of an already muddled area between church and state, but the fact that these "novelty" type God plates are available at the same rate as the standard plate, while all other "novelty" type plates are available for a premium. I don't know exactly how the lawsuits filed by the ACLU folks are going, but I have to admit I'm not saddened by getting to avoid these plates at every turn.

Shreve goes on to discuss how in his (limited) experience with voters Obama doesn't appear to be losing... Unfortunately for Shreve (and more so for Obama), he is in West Lafeyette, and not "down south." I figure the area south of Indianapolis and somewhat rural (excluding Bloomington, Terre Haute, and Evansville) will break for Clinton 70-30, which will lead to a 53-47 win for the Hillary machine. Hell, why am I postulating, when a dairy farmer hit the proverbial nail on the head in the op-ed...
I talked to the father of another student, a family dairy farmer in north-central Indiana. He supports Mr. Obama, whom he feels “has the common person’s needs more to heart.” Still, he thinks Hillary Clinton will win the primary today.

“And what about November?” I asked. “Any chance this red state will go blue?”

No, he lamented: “Even Jesus would have a tough go as a Democrat in Indiana.”

No comments: