Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Racist, prejudiced, whatever they are...

they sure sound stupid. I'll take all the berating someone wants to throw my way for being an intellectual elitist on a vast array of issues, but on this my friends, stupidity should not be tolerated as a valid belief.

“He’s neither-nor,” said Ricky Thompson, a pipe fitter who works at a factory north of Mobile, while standing in the parking lot of a Wal-Mart store just north of here. “He’s other. It’s in the Bible. Come as one. Don’t create other breeds*.”
How many people do you think they had to interview to find someone to say something so stupid, and then have their picture taken for the national paper of record? I would hope a lot, but Mr. Thompson undoubtably feels he is making a valid point, supported by the good word and his religion. Unfortunately for him, I would highly doubt that he could cite more than the old "unequal yoke" verse from Corinthians. The first problem with this basis is that the verse focueses on believers and non-believers, and only uses lightness and darkness as metaphor (oh no, I sound like an eltitist). Of course, another big detriment to Mr. T's lovely logic is the fact that all humans are, acccording to the Bible, descended from one couple... ergo, if one of us can't "come as one," then none of us can.

* Breeds? And I thought race was a stupid term...

No comments: