Monday, October 27, 2008

World Series?

When is it? Oh, it is already happening?

Kudos to MLB and Fox for doing a great job of promoting it. Of course, with the Rays and the Phils, what can you do?

To be completely honest, I haven't watched more than five minutes of the series, but I have heard it said that "baseball purists" would love the series -- lots of productive outs and such... Well, I tend to believe I am a baseball purist, but the label is annoying, when certain commentators take it to the level that a "baseball purist" is only happy when the game is 1-0, or maybe 2-1 - with all runs being scored after a combination of at least three of these things: a walk, hit batsmen, stolen base, sacrifice bunt, sac fly, hard slide to break up a double play, taking third on a single to right, suicide squeeze or a groundball to the right side with a runner on second. Don't get me wrong, I love all of these finer points of the game, but what is wrong with a home run from time to time (or, even better, a triple)? Seriously, when did it become illegal for a baseball purist to hate the long ball? It is a very exciting and impressive feat to smash a 92 mph slider over the wagon gate in left... I think what gets me on this, is that when a star player isn't hitting well and he manages to do one of the listed things above it becomes a "he is doing his job" mentality in the broadcast booth. Well, no, Evan and Carlos shouldn't be looking for a sac fly (those will come), they should be trying to hit the ball hard for extra bases... Oh well, this got long, but I really thought John Miller went overboard via ESPN radio with this discussion last evening.

No comments: