Thursday, April 10, 2008

Google isn't god?... at least not yet.

For all of you thinking cloud computing or web-based software as service so awesome, some caveats from Paul Boutin. He points out that for all of the marvel that is web based apps, there are significant downsides as well. I know that I have had my fair share of issues with Google Docs due to a sporadic loss of connectivity, and it has made me revert almost exclusively to the tried and true Office Suite. I do understand that there is very little doubt that eventually (as in the long run eventually) we will probably see some version of network/web based apps being the norm, but as of right now there are some significant issues with this occuring.

Boutin nails it...

I think there's a market for free, Web-based apps that offer basic features. Knock yourselves out, dilettantes. For me, it'll be years before Photoshop Express can become powerful enough to replace my desktop version, or before Google Docs gets me to uninstall Microsoft Office. I'm not sure I want to. One of the nice things about Word and Photoshop is that once I fire them up and start working, I can forget all about the Internet for a few hours. Sometimes, my PC and I just want to be alone.
I am especially understanding of the last point, whereby sometimes I just need to have my PC and me and less inter connectivity. Let's call it "PC Alone Time."

No comments: