Friday, April 25, 2008

Media coverage of local food movements...

I think it's great that the Isthmus is giving significant coverage to the concept of locally provided food. I found the article to be quite informative and it seemed to offer a number of fair and valid observations regarding a number of organizations.

Perhaps, the most salient point made, is one that is often made, but should not be forgotten:

Still, amid its successes, the local-food movement is suffering growing pains. There is, for example, the problem of access. Local food can seem a bourgeois taste, one enjoyed by customers of pricey fine-dining establishments and precious natural-foods supermarkets.
The locatarian / locovore / local food / slow food movements must work hard to avoid becoming too much of a snootish and pretentious endeavor. I will admit that it was my love of great tasting food that got me started in the conceptual movement of sourcing more of my diet from closer to home, but I now believe it is more than that. And to make a real difference in the broader scheme of things, pretentiousness must be mitigated.

No comments: