Friday, April 11, 2008

To Retire or To Unretire...

So Brett Favre has been alluding to coming back -- IF this and/or that were to maybe, possibly, happen. I have to admit that I'm with King Kaufman on this when he says:

Look, I love me some Brett Favre, really I do. I have to. It's in the union contract for sportswriters. And I get that he was asked the question.

But after years of clogging up the spring and summer sports news with his annoying Hamlet routine, he owed it to us all to say, "I'm retired, and that's that."

I applaud the openness. I appreciate the honesty. But at long last, sir, please shut up and go ride your tractor. If you decide to come back at some point, trust me, we won't miss it. Your name will make the papers.

In the meantime, it shouldn't. You might want to start getting used to that.
Of course, you would substitute worship for love me and way of life for Wisconsinites for union contract for sportswriters, but you get the idea. I was annoyed by this talk last winter, and it is honestly worse after seeing the Pack outperform expectations only to be jerked around by Favre's never ending retirement talk. Somehow, you just get the feeling that he shares a personality trait of needing to inject himself into the news cycle with Roger Clemens. Or, he could just be keeping his name in the lights to secure another endorsement deal. I just feel bad for Rodgers, who has to come in behind a legend/god/king and is probably in a no-win situation even without Brett saying he might come back if Rodgers were hurt. This is invariably going to lead to some Packers fans rooting (hopefully quietly) for this injury to occur. Talk about hard luck...

No comments: